The Utah Afterschool Network (UAN) is a non-profit organization established in 2005 by a consortium of over 100 afterschool practitioners, youth advocates, and leaders of state agencies. We work to connect key decision makers and resources to establish statewide structures that foster policies committed to funding and sustaining quality afterschool/out-of-school time programming.
Every child in Utah has access to high quality afterschool/out-of-school time programs.
UAN is a catalyst for building strong, safe, and healthy afterschool/out-of-school time programs to support youth, families, and communities.
Goals and Objectives of Statewide Afterschool Networks
Goal 1: Create a sustainable structure of statewide, regional, and local partnerships, particularly school-community partnerships, focused on supporting policy development at all levels.
- Create a forum for communication and dissemination of ideas and resources that represent a diversity of interests in the policymaking process. The network must have the ability to propose recommendations and channel influence in meaningful ways by providing access to key decision makers.
- Make intentional linkages to education partners, to support the development of school-connected afterschool policy.
- Coordinate multiple afterschool efforts funded and administered through education initiatives, human service initiatives (child care), other state and local government agencies, and community-based organizations.
Goal 2: Support the development and growth of statewide policies that will secure the resources that are needed to sustain new and existing schoollinked/school-based afterschool programs.
- Secure additional funding for continued support of the network structure.
- Establish a base of sustainable funding for school-based/school-linked afterschool programs that is available through coordinating state and local funds and other public and private sources.
- Increase funding for school-based/school-linked afterschool programs at state, regional, and local levels.
- Explore opportunities to coordinate funding with existing education and other resources.
- Develop a communication strategy for a statewide community-driven public will plan to support sustainable school-based/school-linked afterschool.
Goal 3: Support statewide systems to ensure programs are of high quality.
- Foster a system of multiple pathways for training and technical assistance that will ensure high quality programs across the state are initiated and meet the needs of a diverse population.
- Develop a statewide system of evaluation that includes self-assessment and continuous improvement strategies and rigorous impact evaluation.
- Initiate a support network for program developers and providers that also includes the dissemination of best practices.
- Support the alignment of standards/curriculum between educational systems of quality, and afterschool systems of quality.